Socket Closed Error during HTTP load test
vidhi vinchhi
2015-12-31 05:20:45 UTC
Hi All,

I am trying to perform load test for a website of my project.

I am trying with 50 users with ramp up period of 1 sec.

The isssue is that, after some time, my jmeter run stucks, and 6 yo 7
thread remains unfinished. if I press stop button, The "View Results Tree"
listener says

"Socket closed".

Can anybody help me to resolve this issue? Developer says every is set to
unlimited on server side, then why Jmeter is reporting socket closed, it
should report completed response with connection timeout. but it stucks.

Note: i have already implemented what is mentioned for

httpclient4.retrycount=1
hc.parameters.file=hc.parameters

http.connection.stalecheck$Boolean=true

But did not help.

Can anybody help to resolve this?I am using Jmeter 2.13.

Thanks,

Vidhi.
Himanshu Ghai

Vidhi.
vidhi vinchhi
2015-12-31 06:41:38 UTC
Hi Himashu,

Thank you for your reply.

1. The run is stuck means, say i have started run for 60 users with ramp up
period of 1 sec, Jmeter shows 7/60 and no progress after that even if I
wait for 1 hr. When I click on Stop button, all the pending ( 7) requests
are shown socket closed.

Thanks,
Vidhi.
Vidhi.
Satya Prakash
2015-12-31 07:42:24 UTC

Please check the same by increasing the Ramp UP time (like 60 second for
Ramp UP). If all threads are executing at the same ramp up time (like 60
second for Ramp UP) then it might be an issue with the application.

Thanks
Satya
Vidhi.
vidhi vinchhi
2015-12-31 08:54:40 UTC
Hi Satya,

Ok. Will check. and will inform. But do you if jmeter says socket closed.
what does that mean? I mean socket closed at server end or client end?

Thanks,
Vidhi.
Hi,
Vidhi.
Himanshu Ghai
2015-12-31 09:05:15 UTC
1) Does it start if you change the ramp up time to be longer say 60 seconds?
2) Do you see any errors in jmeter.log?
3) Do the 7 working threads execute the requests fine? How fast

Himanshu
Vidhi.
vidhi vinchhi
2015-12-31 09:15:14 UTC
Hi Himanshu,

please below my answers insline.

1) Does it start if you change the ramp up time to be longer say 60 seconds?
Nope
2) Do you see any errors in jmeter.log?
Same error. Socket closed it shows.
3) Do the 7 working threads execute the requests fine? How fast
Send request fine if i see in View results tree listener.

I have one question, when jmeter says socket closed what does it mean out
of below two:

1. Socket closed at server end so jmeter is not able to communicate any
more with server? Thats why it stucks in whichever state it is?
2. Socket closed at client end ( My system ) so that jmeter can not more
send/receive any requests? in this case, jmeter should end the execution
based on timeout value configured and should not stuck.

Thanks,
Vidhi.
Vidhi.
vidhi vinchhi
2015-12-31 09:22:35 UTC
Hi Himanshu,

sorry the jmeter logs says below on clicking stop buttton.

2015/12/31 14:48:27 WARN - jmeter.util.JMeterUtils: Interrupted in thread
Thread Group 1-51 java.lang.InterruptedException
at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
at java.lang.Object.wait(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.invokeAndWait(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.invokeAndWait(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeAndWait(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.jmeter.util.JMeterUtils.runSafe(JMeterUtils.java:1322)
at
org.apache.jmeter.visualizers.ViewResultsFullVisualizer.add(ViewResultsFullVisualizer.java:134)
at
org.apache.jmeter.reporters.ResultCollector.sendToVisualizer(ResultCollector.java:595)
at
org.apache.jmeter.reporters.ResultCollector.sampleOccurred(ResultCollector.java:571)
at
org.apache.jmeter.threads.ListenerNotifier.notifyListeners(ListenerNotifier.java:84)
at
org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.notifyListeners(JMeterThread.java:796)
at
org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.process_sampler(JMeterThread.java:456)
at org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.run(JMeterThread.java:261)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

For successfully finished threads, below is the line i can seein logs.

2015/12/31 14:38:51 INFO - jmeter.threads.JMeterThread: Thread is done:
Thread Group 1-53
2015/12/31 14:38:51 INFO - jmeter.threads.JMeterThread: Thread finished:
Thread Group 1-53

Thanks,
Vidhi.
Vidhi.
Himanshu Ghai
2015-12-31 17:52:31 UTC
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Hi Himanshu,
please below my answers insline.
1) Does it start if you change the ramp up time to be longer say 60 seconds?
Nope
2) Do you see any errors in jmeter.log?
Same error. Socket closed it shows.
3) Do the 7 working threads execute the requests fine? How fast
Send request fine if i see in View results tree listener.
I have one question, when jmeter says socket closed what does it mean out
1. Socket closed at server end so jmeter is not able to communicate any
more with server? Thats why it stucks in whichever state it is?
If the socket closed error in log/view results tree shows up after you
pressed the stop button. It should be client side.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
2. Socket closed at client end ( My system ) so that jmeter can not more
send/receive any requests? in this case, jmeter should end the execution
based on timeout value configured and should not stuck.
Yes it should can you take a thread dump and either look through/send it
here. Take 2 thread dumps when you see 7/60 started threads and send those
along.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Thanks,
Vidhi.
Vidhi.
Philippe Mouawad
2015-12-31 17:56:25 UTC
As per your notes you appear to be using View Results Tree in GUI mode , so
you most probably end up with an OOM or huge GC.

This is bad practices as per:
http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/best-practices.html
http://www.ubik-ingenierie.com/blog/jmeter_performance_tuning_tips/

So switch ton NON GUI mode testing and see what you get.

Regards
Philippe M.
@philmdot
Post by vidhi vinchhi
2. Socket closed at client end ( My system ) so that jmeter can not more
send/receive any requests? in this case, jmeter should end the execution
based on timeout value configured and should not stuck.
Yes it should can you take a thread dump and either look through/send it
here. Take 2 thread dumps when you see 7/60 started threads and send those
along.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Thanks,
Vidhi.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
wait for 1 hr. When I click on Stop button, all the pending ( 7)
requests
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
are shown socket closed.
Thanks,
Vidhi.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
unlimited on server side, then why Jmeter is reporting socket
closed,
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
it
--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.
vidhi vinchhi
2016-01-01 04:45:10 UTC
Hi Philippe,

Thank you for your response.

I have already tried non GUI mode. Its same behaviour.

Can it be a internet bandwidth issue?

Thanks,
Vidhi.

Hi,
Post by vidhi vinchhi
2. Socket closed at client end ( My system ) so that jmeter can not more
send/receive any requests? in this case, jmeter should end the execution
based on timeout value configured and should not stuck.
Yes it should can you take a thread dump and either look through/send it
here. Take 2 thread dumps when you see 7/60 started threads and send those
along.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Thanks,
Vidhi.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
thread remains unfinished. if I press stop button, The "View
Results
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Tree"
Post by vidhi vinchhi
unlimited on server side, then why Jmeter is reporting socket
closed,
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
it
Philippe Mouawad.
vidhi vinchhi
2016-01-01 04:59:27 UTC
Hi Himanshu,

Attached are jmeter logs.

I have one question. If socket closed issue is client side issue ( as
suggested above ) what could be its reason?
Can internet bandwidth be an issue? I have internet with 2mbps of speed and
512 kbps speed after 1 GB. So if all 1 GB are utilized, internet speed of
512 kbps can be an issue of limitation bandwidth?

Thanks,
Vidhi.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
2. Socket closed at client end ( My system ) so that jmeter can not more
send/receive any requests? in this case, jmeter should end the execution
based on timeout value configured and should not stuck.
Yes it should can you take a thread dump and either look through/send it
here. Take 2 thread dumps when you see 7/60 started threads and send those
along.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Thanks,
Vidhi.
Vidhi.
ashish solanki
2016-01-01 05:43:32 UTC
Hi vidhi,

Can you please try to execute your scenaio on cloud based machine with
higher configuration ? It might be possible that you can completed
successfully.

Thanks
Post by vidhi vinchhi
2. Socket closed at client end ( My system ) so that jmeter can not more
send/receive any requests? in this case, jmeter should end the execution
based on timeout value configured and should not stuck.
Yes it should can you take a thread dump and either look through/send it
here. Take 2 thread dumps when you see 7/60 started threads and send those
along.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Thanks,
Vidhi.
Sent from Gmail Mobile
vidhi vinchhi
2016-01-01 05:51:54 UTC
Hi Ashish,

Thank you for your reply.

Cloud based system means? I have also found one response to this error
message in some order mailing list as

"This message usually occurs for high users load-test. Its mainly occurs
when the Port used to send request has crossed the maximum number of
requests or when the request arrives when the port is occupied with many
requests. Try configuring multiple ports at the server or run Jmeter in
multiple instances with different ports. "

Is above can be a reason? if yes how to implement above? Could you suggest
please?

Thanks,
Vidhi.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
based on timeout value configured and should not stuck.
Yes it should can you take a thread dump and either look through/send it
here. Take 2 thread dumps when you see 7/60 started threads and send
those
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
along.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Thanks,
Vidhi.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
socket closed after pressing stop button may be okay. What do you
mean when you say your run is stuck? are threads waiting on server
to respond
Himanshu
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
7
Sent from Gmail Mobile
ashish solanki
2016-01-01 06:40:55 UTC
I would suggest you to do perform distributed load testing or your load
generation machine should be woth high configuration..

Usually sometime our machine is not capable to handle to load generated by
jmeter hence jmeter stopped working.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
here. Take 2 thread dumps when you see 7/60 started threads and send
those
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
along.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Thanks,
Vidhi.
On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Himanshu Ghai <
Post by Himanshu Ghai
1) Does it start if you change the ramp up time to be longer say 60 seconds?
2) Do you see any errors in jmeter.log?
3) Do the 7 working threads execute the requests fine? How fast
Himanshu
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
7
Post by vidhi vinchhi
listener says
"Socket closed".
Can anybody help me to resolve this issue? Developer says every
is
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
set to
Sent from Gmail Mobile
Satya Prakash
2016-02-03 13:51:24 UTC
Hi Vidhi,

This is issue with the application level. This means application is not
responding if you increase the threads. You can ask the team to deploy the
build with a new and good configuration.

As a QA perspective this is not my approach to think this is an client end
issue/server end issue. If I am getting that my 7 threads are working good.
Then a respected amount of threads should passed.

Thanks
Satya
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Hi Ashish,
Thank you for your reply.
Cloud based system means? I have also found one response to this error
message in some order mailing list as
"This message usually occurs for high users load-test. Its mainly occurs
when the Port used to send request has crossed the maximum number of
requests or when the request arrives when the port is occupied with many
requests. Try configuring multiple ports at the server or run Jmeter in
multiple instances with different ports. "
Is above can be a reason? if yes how to implement above? Could you
suggest
Post by vidhi vinchhi
please?
Thanks,
Vidhi.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
of 512 kbps can be an issue of limitation bandwidth?
Thanks,
Vidhi.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by ashish solanki
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by ashish solanki
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
here. Take 2 thread dumps when you see 7/60 started threads and send
those
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
along.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by ashish solanki
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by ashish solanki
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Hi All,
I am trying to perform load test for a website of my project.
I am trying with 50 users with ramp up period of 1 sec.
The isssue is that, after some time, my jmeter run stucks, and
6
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by ashish solanki
yo
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
7
Post by vidhi vinchhi
listener says
"Socket closed".
Can anybody help me to resolve this issue? Developer says every
is
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
set to
Post by vidhi vinchhi
should report completed response with connection timeout. but
it
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by ashish solanki
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
stucks.
Sent from Gmail Mobile
vidhi vinchhi
2016-02-03 13:54:50 UTC
Thanks Satya for your help.

I will discuss about this as mentioned with dev team.

Will keep posted on this.

Thanks again

Regards,
Vidhi.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Hi Ashish,
Thank you for your reply.
Cloud based system means? I have also found one response to this error
message in some order mailing list as
"This message usually occurs for high users load-test. Its mainly occurs
when the Port used to send request has crossed the maximum number of
requests or when the request arrives when the port is occupied with many
requests. Try configuring multiple ports at the server or run Jmeter in
multiple instances with different ports. "
Is above can be a reason? if yes how to implement above? Could you
suggest
Post by vidhi vinchhi
please?
Thanks,
Vidhi.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
of 512 kbps can be an issue of limitation bandwidth?
Thanks,
Vidhi.
On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 11:22 PM, Himanshu Ghai <
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by ashish solanki
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
based on timeout value configured and should not stuck.
Yes it should can you take a thread dump and either look
through/send
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by ashish solanki
it
Post by vidhi vinchhi
here. Take 2 thread dumps when you see 7/60 started threads and send
those
Post by vidhi vinchhi
along.
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by ashish solanki
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by ashish solanki
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
if I wait for 1 hr. When I click on Stop button, all the pending
(
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by ashish solanki
7)
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by ashish solanki
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by ashish solanki
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Hi All,
I am trying to perform load test for a website of my project.
I am trying with 50 users with ramp up period of 1 sec.
The isssue is that, after some time, my jmeter run stucks,
and 6
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by ashish solanki
yo
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
7
Post by vidhi vinchhi
listener says
"Socket closed".
Can anybody help me to resolve this issue? Developer says
every
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by ashish solanki
is
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by Himanshu Ghai
set to
Post by vidhi vinchhi
should report completed response with connection timeout. but
it
Post by vidhi vinchhi
Post by ashish solanki
Post by vidhi vinchhi